SkillSET Blog
Advice For Pros · October 24, 2016 · AUTHOR: Udi Dorner

The Seller’s Closing Documents

The real estate closing process is a crucial step in transferring ownership from the seller to the buyer. During this process, several important documents need to be signed to ensure a smooth and legally compliant transaction. In this blog, we will provide an overview of the common documents involved in the closing process, emphasizing the importance of thorough review and understanding before signing.

Final Closing Instructions

The final closing instructions outline the necessary steps and requirements for completing the closing process. While the specifics may vary by state, both the buyer and seller typically sign these agreements during escrow, ensuring a mutual understanding of the procedures involved.

HUD-1 Settlement Statement

The HUD-1 Settlement Statement is a federally required document that accounts for all financial aspects of the transaction. It includes a breakdown of the costs, fees, and credits associated with the sale. It is important to carefully review all columns and figures on the HUD-1 form to ensure accuracy before signing.

Certificate of Title

The Certificate of Title confirms that the seller has the legal right to sell the property. It provides assurance to the buyer that the property is free from liens or encumbrances that could affect the ownership rights.

The Deed

The Deed is a crucial document that transfers the title of the property from the seller to the buyer. While the name and format of the Deed may vary across states, its purpose remains the same. It includes a description of the property and is typically filed at the local county courthouse.

Loan Payoff Statement

If the seller has an outstanding mortgage on the property, a Loan Payoff Statement will be provided. This document outlines the amount owed on the loan and ensures that it will be paid off from the proceeds of the sale.

Mechanics Lien Waiver

In some states, the seller may be required to sign a Mechanics Lien Waiver, stating that there are no outstanding payments owed to subcontractors or suppliers involved in property improvements or repairs. This protects the buyer from potential legal claims against the property.

Bill of Sale

The Bill of Sale is a document that lists any personal property included in the sale of the house, such as appliances or fixtures. It ensures that both the buyer and seller are aware of what items will remain with the property.

Statement of Closing Costs

The Statement of Closing Costs provides a detailed breakdown of all costs associated with the transaction, including fees, taxes, insurance, and other expenses. Reviewing this document before signing ensures that you are aware of all the financial obligations involved in the closing process.

Statement of Information

Title companies require a Statement of Information to verify the identities of the parties involved in the transaction. Buyers and sellers will need to provide two forms of identification, such as a driver's license or passport, to comply with this requirement. It is important to come prepared with the necessary identification documents.


The real estate closing process involves several important documents that require careful review and understanding before signing. From the HUD-1 Settlement Statement to the Deed and other essential paperwork, each document plays a crucial role in ensuring a successful transfer of property ownership. By taking the time to read and ask questions about these documents, you can confidently navigate the closing process and protect your interests as a buyer or seller.


Previous Article / Next Article
  • SetSchedule says:
    In general terms, you should not need a lawyer. It is always good to seek legal advice, but the process can also be managed by your agent and your agent's ( or broker ) legal advisor.
  • mildred hare says:
    Do I, as seller, need a lawyer at closing Chicago Title & Trust and documents for closing to be obtained before the closing date?
  • SetSchedule says:
    Gloria Good question, you will need to contact your title company to review all documents needed. You can also email should you have any additional selling / buying questions.
  • Gloria Hernandez says:
    I sold some property and they are paying me off. What documents do we need to transfer property over to their name.
  • Jane Arnold says:
    When does the seller get the seller's closing statment? Is there a legal time limit when the seller should get it?

Message has been sent!